Ex-boxer from Houghton Regis jailed for furious attack on woman

Paul Porter

Paul Porter

0
Have your say

A former professional boxer from Houghton Regis wept in the dock as he was jailed for over 11 years following a furious attack on his ex-partner.

Paul Porter, 39, appeared at Luton Crown Court today for sentencing following his attack on the woman last year.

The court heard how Porter had been in a relationship with the woman for 13 years and was struggling to cope after their break-up.

On an earlier occasion on August 5, Porter had entered the woman’s house by climbing through a bedroom window – causing the handle to break – before confronting her in the hallway and asking why she wasn’t returning his messages.

Later, on September 8 as the woman returned home at around 3.50pm in the afternoon she saw Porter’s lorry parked nearby.

Porter approached the woman as she pulled up outside her home, and asked when they were getting back together.

Judge Lynn Tayton QC told Porter: “Without warning, you hit her hard on her right eye and then punched her a number of times hard in her face.

“She raised her right arm to protect her face ... she immediately thought her arm was broken because of the amount of pain.”

The victim estimated that Porter punched her about seven times in the face, she was taken to hospital and a complex fracture was discovered in her right wrist.

“It’s accurate to say her right wrist was shattered,” said the judge.

Porter, of Trident Drive, fled the scene in his lorry but was later arrested at home. He is currently receiving psychiatric treatment at Brockfield House in Wickford, Essex.

Consultant forensic psychiatrist Dr Raman Deo told the court that Porter had been given a formal diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder, which stemmed from a stabbing he had endured some years earlier.


Sentencing Porter, Judge Lynn Tayton QC said: “[The victim] says that you are somebody who has been a professional boxer and you dominated her... you were unwilling to accept that the relationship had ended.

“She takes the view that you’ve inflicted a life-changing injury on her. She feels the need to move house and her confidence has suffered.

“It seems to me you did undertake a sustained assault on her. It’s also arguable that you had the intention to cause more harm to her than actually occurred because you aimed your blows towards her head.”

Porter was sentenced to 11 years and eight months for causing grevious bodily harm with intent, to run alongside a three month sentence for damaging the woman’s property on August 5.

A Section 49(a) Order was made under The Mental Health Act 1983 for Porter to continue receiving treatment at Brockfield House until he is well enough to be sent to prison.

A restraining order was granted, banning Porter from contacting the victim for an indefinite period.

Porter was attended by psychiatric staff throughout the two hour hearing and was visibly moved as the evidence was read out. He will serve two thirds of his sentence before being eligible for parole.

Speaking after the case, lead investigator Det Con Dale Ashpole said: “Porter is a dangerous man and the sentence reflects the gravity of his actions. The victim sustained a vicious attack and we welcome the hefty punishment.

“This case was hugely strengthened by the great response we received from the community and the number of willing witnesses who came forward to testify against Porter. We are grateful for their support in ensuring this man serves the time he deserves.

“Domestic violence is a serious offence and will not be tolerated. We work hard to safeguard victims and their families. It is a priority for our force to take people like Porter, who pose a danger to our society, off our streets for a long time.”

Anyone subjected to domestic abuse or worried for a friend or family member is advised to contact Beds Police’s domestic abuse investigation unit on 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.