UPDATE: Man and his two dogs die after house blaze

A man and his two dogs died and another man was seriously injured in a house fire in Houghton Regis in the early hours of Monday morning.

Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service received several phone calls about the blaze in the Chelsea Gardens home at around 1.30am.

Crews from Dunstable Fire Station were at the scene within minutes and found a fierce fire on the ground floor of the two-storey house, which had spread to part of the upper floor.

A further appliance from Toddington was sent to assist in view of the repeat 999 calls to fire control.

A Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “One man from the house was treated at the scene by paramedics before being taken to the hospital, and another man, believed to be a neighbour, was treated for the effects of smoke inhalation at the scene.”

A spokesman for Bedfordshire Police said: “We can confirm that sadly a man and his two dogs died in the fire and another man is in hospital with serious injuries.

“The fire is not being treated as suspicious and there will not be a police investigation.”

The blaze caused extensive damage to the ground floor, with severe smoke damage upstairs.

A neighbour told the Gazette: “The man who passed away was in his 50s, if not older. He lived there with another man and their two dogs. It is sad what happened.

“I did not really know them, they kept themselves to themselves. They were quite private people.

“One of the neighbours was banging on the door and shouting ‘fire, fire’. It woke us up.

“We came out of the house and there was smoke everywhere.

“Our home has not been damaged, it was just smoky.

“One of the men was taken to the hospital.”

The fire was extinguished within an hour with firefighters using two hose reels, one jet and a covering jet.

The incident was declared under control at 3.25am, although fire crews remained at the scene for a further hour, damping down and cutting away.

It is possible that the cause of the fire was an electrical fault, but this has not yet been confirmed.

An investigation by Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service into how the fire started is under way.