DCSIMG

Dunstable Northern Bypass hurdle is cleared away

An MP said the decision not to hold a public inquiry into plans for 5,000 houses north of Houghton Regis is “excellent news”.

Andrew Selous said that if the application had been ‘called in’, it could have caused a long delay in the building of the Dunstable Northern Bypass.

Mr Selous, MP for South West Beds, said on Thursday: “The whole of south Bedfordshire had excellent news today when Eric Pickles (Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government) confirmed that he was not calling in the Houghton Regis North Planning Application.”

Mr Selous said the plan enables the developers of the 5,000 new homes to pay a £45million contribution towards the A5/M1 link (Dunstable Northern Bypass).

“Had the planning application been called in this would have led to a possible year’s delay on the handing over of the £45million to the Highways Agency to build the bypass,” said Mr Selous.

“That delay will not happen and this clears away the last major hurdle to getting the bypass built.

“The A5/M1 Link will relieve congestion in Dunstable andHoughton Regis and prevent rat-running in neighbouring villages like Totternhoe and Kensworth.

“The bypass will also greatly help Leighton Buzzard and Linslade residents and businesses as they will have, for the first time ever, fast direct access to the national motorway network at the new Junction 11A.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page