DCSIMG

Village food firm on course for new shop after 67 years

The derelict Half Moon pub

The derelict Half Moon pub

A Studham company is on the move after trading in the village for well over 60 years.

Harpers Food, of Bell Farm, Dunstable Road, is relocating to new premises in Pepperstock, near Slip End, creating a stylish fine food shop and cafe and new jobs.

Owner Peter Harper said: “We are excited about our move to Pepperstock and the new facilities we will be offering. We are opening a brand new speciality food shop, a coffee shop and function room.

“This will provide jobs in the local area and a great facility for people to shop and relax in comfortable surroundings.”

The new premises are in the Old Half Moon pub, a 17th Century building which has been derelict for the past four years.

It was originally a family house from 1632 and it became a pub in 1810.

Harpers was started in 1947 by Thomas Harper, the current owner’s father.

The business has grown and evolved over time and sells quality meat and meat products, including the company’s famous award-winning sausage rolls.

Harpers enjoy a loyal following and through their Fine Food and Wine Society they reward their customers with a free turkey at Christmas and food events throughout the year.

The new premises are due to open on May 7 and there will be a range of events to celebrate, including a VIP launch in June.

Planning permission was given to Bellway Homes in October to build 23 new homes on the Studham site vacated by Harpers. despite opposition from villagers.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page