Sir Julius Wernher, who had made his fortune from the diamond mines of South Africa, bought the Luton Hoo Estate and the Manor of Luton in 1903.
He carried out major renovation work to the manor and grounds and on his death in 1912 the estate passed to Lady Ludlow. She presented a park off Tennyson Road to the people of Luton on June 12, 1920 in memory of her son, Alex Piggott Wernher, who was killed in action during the First World War.
Lady Ludlow unveiled the war memorial to her son, which is in the centre of the park, at a ceremony on December 10, 1922 and the site was officially named Luton Hoo Memorial Park.
The original park had a range of facilities, including a bandstand, tearoom, glasshouses, a shelter and public toilets.
Council records show that a Wardown Park gardener was placed in charge of the new park in 1922 and a park constable was appointed the following year to provide security.
Older Yesteryear readers who visited Memorial Park in their youth may remember a pitch and putt, ornamental rockery, reflective garden area and promenade next to the memorial.