Still believes Banton is ready to push on

Zane Banton
Zane Banton
0
Have your say

Hatters boss John Still believes that striker Zane Banton is ready to step up to the National League after joining Boreham Wood on loan last week.

The 19-year-old agreed a month’s stay at Meadow Park and made his debut as a late substitute during Tuesday night’s 2-1 win at Torquay United.

“He’s improved and we’ve noticed it in training. That’s why we were happy pushing him on the level.”

John Still

Still said: “They asked and said he might not play every game, but that’s okay, he’ll go there for a month and maybe experience a bit of Conference football.

“He’s pushed on from last year, we like him and he’s still a young man. If he can get a few games at that level, it will do him the world of good.

“He’s improved and we’ve noticed it in training. That’s why we were happy pushing him on the level.

“We could have pushed him on the level last year, and we weren’t sure he was ready for that. But having played at Hemel, we now feel he is ready for that.”

Banton, who made his Hatters debut back in September 2013 has been loaned to Concord Rangers and Biggleswade Town during previous seasons.

However, it was his stint at Hemel Hempstead in Conference South last term that Still felt had the most impact, as the Luton chief added: “I think his spell at Hemel was good for him, it manned him up a little bit.

“It made him realise that it’s tougher than playing youth football and reserve team football, as no-one’s life depends on those games.

“Whereas this is proper and him playing at Hemel where people are desperate for points and now going to Conference National where teams are desperate for points is important.

“All of that experience he’s getting will build him into the player we hope he can become.”