Child woken by blaze

A young child was woken by a fire started by a candle left burning in his bedroom yesterday evening (Sunday 22 May) in Collingswell Close, Caddington.

Monday, 23rd May 2016, 4:25 pm
Updated Monday, 23rd May 2016, 5:31 pm
Fire & Rescue Stock SUS-150522-080835001
Fire & Rescue Stock SUS-150522-080835001

Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service received a call about the fire in the first floor bedroom at 10.55pmSunday evening. When they arrived they found there was a fire in a child’s upstairs bedroom. The child had alerted the family to the blaze.

Firefighters fought the fire wearing breathing apparatus and used a fire hose and a covering jet to quickly extinguish it. The bedroom sustained 10% damage from fire and 100% damage from smoke and the rest of the first floor was 25% damaged by smoke. The child was taken to hospital by ambulance suffering from smoke inhalation.

Ade Yule, Borough Commander South, said: “People should never leave candles burning unattended. If the child had not alerted their family to the fire this could have been a much more serious incident. Luckily we were able to put this fire out quickly and prevent the fire spreading to the rest of the house. I’d like to congratulate the Firefighters for doing such a quick and effective job.”

“We have sound advice on our website about treating candles with respect, visit”