Distraught dad of Adam Fanelli ‘threatened to kill’ police hunting son’s killers

The funeral of Adam Fanelli earlier this month
The funeral of Adam Fanelli earlier this month

A grieving father who thought police were not doing enough to catch his son’s killers shouted abuse at officers in the street and put a large kitchen knife to his throat.

Adam Fanelli, 49, was in such a state of high emotion he had to be Tasered before he was arrested.

His 31-year-old son, also called Adam, was found dead at a travellers site at Nash Park in Nash, Buckinghamshire, on March 17 this year. A post mortem examination revealed he died from blunt force trauma to the head.

Luton Crown Court heard yesterday that Mr Fanelli had gone to Sandland Close in Dunstable four days later at 6pm, having heard the police were in the area looking for suspects.

“The defendant was in the area in a state of high emotion. He walked towards two officers and abused them and threatened to kill them. He was in a state of high anxiety.

“He believed that not enough was being done to arrest his son’s killers and he threatened to kill them.

“Two colleagues who he was with tried to placate him, but he went to an Astra van and pulled out a very large kitchen knife,” said Edward Lewis prosecuting.

The two officers got back in the vehicle and called for back up. A Taser officer arrived and approached Mr Fanelli who had put the knife to his own throat. When he made a threat to cut himself, the Taser was fired.

Later at the police station he said: “I am sorry, chaps.” He said he held no grudge against the police and was just “sounding off” having had a “week from hell.”

Mr Fanelli, of Chelsea Gardens, Houghton Regis, pleaded guilty to affray.

Dan Hart, defending, said two men have now been charged in relation to his son’s murder. “His son had died days earlier and he was struggling to come to terms with his loss.”

He asked the judge to pass a suspended sentence.

Judge Michael Kay QC agreed, telling Mr Fanelli: “You were in a highly emotional and excitable state.

“Nobody would be surprised at that.

“In different circumstances there would be an immediate jail sentence for anyone threatening the police going about their duties, but this is an exceptional case.”

He passed a four month sentence suspended for 12 months.