Hear the moment a Dunstable pensioner called police after killing her lover

editorial image

A woman from Dunstable has been jailed after fatally stabbing her partner following an argument.

Angela Ayre, 74, was jailed for three years today (Friday) at Luton Crown Court, for killing her 53-year-old partner, Mark Evans, in March 2018. She was sentenced for manslaughter after being cleared of murder following a two-week trial.

During the trial in January, the court heard how Ayre had stabbed Evans after the pair argued when Evans wet himself.

Police were called at 11.12pm on Thursday 8 March, last year, to reports of concern for the welfare of a man at a property in Redfield Close. Paramedics had initially been called to the address, and requested police attendance after finding Evans in cardiac arrest and with a stab wound to the chest.

When officers arrived, Evans was lying on the kitchen floor being treated by a paramedic. Ayre, who was sitting in the living room in a distressed state, was indicated by a family member as being the person responsible for the stab wound.

Evans was pronounced dead at the scene, and a short time later Ayre was arrested.

Scenes of Crime Officers later attended the address, and seized a blood-stained purple knife from the kitchen.

The cause of Evans’ death was confirmed as a single stab wound which had penetrated the heart. The injury was found to be consistent with the knife seized from the crime scene.

During an investigation by the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit (MCU), officers found a voicemail that Ayre had left for her daughter, in which she said ‘‘I’ve just stabbed Mark. Please help me.’’

Throughout two police interviews, Ayre remained silent when questioned. She was initially charged with murder, although was cleared of that charge and convicted of manslaughter at a trial.

Detective Sergeant Jo Goodson, who led the investigation, said: “This was a tragic and unnecessary incident which led to a man losing his life. Ayre and Evans’ relationship has been described as volatile, with both described as regular drinkers. This incident was seemingly alcohol fuelled, and things may not have escalated to the point they did if alcohol had not been involved.

“Mark is greatly missed by his family, who gave evidence at court and supported our investigation.”