AFC earn their stripes with big Tigers win

First for sports news
First for sports news

AFC Dunstable got the better of bogey side London Tigers as they romped to a 4-1 victory at Creasey Park.

With Tigers taking four points off AFC last season, Dunstable boss Steve Heath knew that his side could not afford to be complacent.

Danny Ryan made his first senior start for 18 months and he capped off his day by notching AFC’s third goal with a cracking header.

Returning to the side from Tuesday night was skipper Moses Olaleye, Billy Baird and Terry Griffiths.

The first real chance of the first half came on 10 minutes, when BJ Christie gave the home side the lead. With the ball falling to him just outside the 18 yard box, he well and truly put his foot through it. His strike was only a yard to the left of the keeper, but it had so much venom it flew past him.

Apart from a superb save by Pampolim from a Jonny Cooper half volley, it would have been 2-0, three minutes later.

AFC went into the game boasting a fine record of not conceding a goal so far this season, but it nearly came to an end eight minutes into the second half.

A through-ball split the defence, and as Benmansour bore down on goal, he only had the frame of Ricky Perks to beat, but the keeper stood his ground and saved well.

AFC did not learn from this, though, as on the hour their record was blemished when a lovely curling shot from Tahin found the net to draw the Tigers level.

It seemed AFC players were still in the dressing room, as they had not started the half well.

However, when Taishan Griffith was fouled out on the touchline, a trademark Newman Carney free-kick was headed home by Griffiths.

And the lead was extended on 66 minutes as another Carney free-kick was headed home by Ryan to extend the lead to 3-1.

With this burst of two goals in four minutes, Tigers heads seemed to drop as AFC started to create more chances. Christie came close again as his shot just went wide.

It was time to introduce Josh Humbert for his first appearance this season after his suspension, and on 80 minutes his sublime ball picked out Jermaine Hall, who danced round the keeper to make it 4-1.

Heath was happy with most of the game saying: “Apart from the early periods of the second half when they scored, we were pretty much comfortable.”

AFC entertained St Margaretsbury last night, before visiting Newport Pagnell in the FA Cup on Saturday.