AFC maintain title push with Hertford victory

SSML Premier Division: AFC Dunstable 4 Hertford Town 1

Wednesday, 30th March 2016, 1:00 pm
AFC Dunstable made it back to back wins on Tuesday night
AFC Dunstable made it back to back wins on Tuesday night

AFC Dunstable picked up yet another fine result in their quest for the SSML Premier Division title by defeating Hertford Town 4-1 at Creasey Park on Tuesday night.

With the visitors fresh from a brilliant 3-1 victory over leaders Hoddesdon Town at the weekend, AFC knew they would pose a real test to their promotion ambitions.

Boss Steve Heath made one chance, bringing in Jermaine Hall for Nathan Frater, but it was Town who started well with striker Sam Ruff looking dangerous.

However, AFC upped the tempo and went close on 13 minutes when Bill Morgan’s header was tipped over by Glenn Williamson.

From the resulting corner, the hosts were in front though as Josh Humbert was on hand to head home Newman Carney’s corner.

The goal gave AFC confidence and they almost had a second when BJ Christie escaped his marker, but could not hit the target from a tight angle.

With half time approaching, Brandon Carney screwed his shot wide, although the hosts did have a second just before the whistle, when Christie broke clear to coolly lob Williamson.

After the break, it looked like AFC would enjoy a comfortable second 45 minutes until Hertford were awarded a penalty on the hour mark, easily converted by James Ewington.

Crucially though, the hosts struck back within two minutes when from a corner, Humbert set up Hall who slotted home from close range.

On 69 minutes, it was 4-1 to the home side as neat footwork by Hall saw him curl the ball into the back of the Hertford net to secure his 23rd goal of the season.

Humbert had the chance to add to his goal tally but Williamson denied him twice, while a lovely one two between Hall and sub Danny Jones saw the latter’s strike well saved.

As Hall went in search of his treble, he had a shot at goal which slipped through Williamson’s hands but bounced to safety.

A delighted boss Heath said: “After Hertford’s great result on Saturday, we knew we had to match their performance levels.

“On their day Hertford are a match for anyone, but I thought we showed the right attitude and played some good football.”

The result saw AFC remain two points behind Hoddesdon with two games in hand, after the leaders also won on Tuesday night, recording a 2-1 success at St Margaretsbury.

AFC host sixth-placed Holmer Green this weekend.

AFC: Perks, Massay, N Carney, Morgan, Cashman, B Carney, Gorman, Olaleye, Christie, Humbert, Hall.

Subs used: Byron, Jones. Subs not used: Griffiths, Frater, Silvestri.

Attendance: 72.