Blues forced to pay the penalty yet again

Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division: Chippenham Town 1 Dunstable Town 0

Monday, 6th March 2017, 2:38 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 11:00 am
Dunstable Town's Danny Talbot

Dunstable Town conceded their fifth penalty in just three games to lose out against leaders Chippenham Town on Saturday, making it seven league matches without victory.

The visitors lined up without the suspended Gedeon Okito, while Luton Town U18 defender Harry Bean made his debut at full back.

Chippenham, going into the game on an 18-match unbeaten run, were restricted early on as Dunstable went close when Danny Talbot’s free kick was headed inches wide by Josh Oyinsan.

The hosts then went close as Jake Andrews was denied by Jack Smith, while Bean saw his attempt blocked and Nathan Olukanmi saw two crosses cleared away.

Tony Fontanelle’s side kept pressing, as Bush’s header was easy for home keeper Darren Chitty, although he did make a better stop from Bean’s drive, while Oyinsan just failed to connect with Talbot’s lofted cross.

As the half drew to a close, both Bradley Hewitt and Adam Pepera defended well, while Vences Bola’s snapshot flew wide.

After the break, the eager Bola had another effort blocked and Oyinsan just failed to connect with a cross, but Chippenham began looking dangerous going forward through Jake Andrews, David Pratt and substitute Joe McLennan.

Andrews was just wide with another home effort, although Dunstable went close after a good move by Jack Green, Oyinsan and Bola saw Chitty save.

However, Dunstable’s good work was undone when Nathan Olukanmi was penalised for handball on 63 minutes and Pratt converted from the spot.

Still the Blues looked for an equaliser as Talbot’s shot was comfortable for Chitty, although the Bluebirds almost had a second, Smith saving bravely from Andrews.

Dunstable are at home to Biggleswade Town on Saturday.

Chippenham: Darren Chitty, Dan Bowman, Nuno Felix, Gary Horgan (Michael Pook 47), Greg Tindle ©, Will Richards, Alex Ferguson (Joe McLennan 34), Matt Smith, David Pratt, Andy Sandell, Jake Andrews.

Subs not used: Jon Beeden, Matt Jones, Rhys Baggridge.

Dunstable: Jack Smith, Jack Green, Harry Bean, Danny Talbot, Bradley Hewitt, Adam Pepera (C), Nathan Olukanmi (Kane Pope 83), Shane Bush, Joshua Oyinsan, Vences Bola, Kelvin Bossman (Sam Baffour 73).

Subs not used: Jordan Odofin, Tony Fontenelle.

Referee: Neal Templey.

Attendance: 471.