Crawley Green back to winning ways

Football ENGPNL00120130210130301
Football ENGPNL00120130210130301

A late goal from Stuart Strange secured all three points for Crawley as they came from a goal down to beat Buckingham Athletic 2-1 on Wednesday.

Playing their third game in four days stretched Crawley’s resources to the limit and they were forced to draft Dean Bull in as an emergency centre half.

After an even opening Buckingham’s Phil Martin shot wide from a Dan Staley cross. The visitors followed up with another effort from Martin which was well saved by Scott Bates.

Crawley replied with a Mark Smith header from a Jack Downes which went over the bar. On the half hour the dangerous Martin had another effort well saved by Bates.

Back came Crawley with a shot from Sam Peverall. Peverall then set up Aaron Wilson who broke clear of the Buckingham defence but Andy Hammond saved well.

Just before the break the visitors took the lead with a stunning strike from Nick Bennion. Bennion unleashed a pile driver from 25 yards and the ball flew past Bates into the corner of the goal.

In the second half Crawley came out with all guns blazing and they were level within 2 minutes with another outstanding strike. Sean Bishop picked up the ball and from fully 30yards and smashed a shot that went in off the bar to make 1-1.

Aaron Wilson and Stuart Strange both had efforts blocked as Crawley continued to dominate.

Buckingham shook off their second half lethargy and Jack Menday had a shot which Bates saved with his legs.

After 75 minutes Sean Bishop had another long range effort go close before Crawley took the lead three minutes later.

Sam Halfpenny made a good run down the right and his cross was collected by Stuart Strange who shot firmly past Hammond to make it 2-1.

In the closing stages Buckingham were reduced to 10 men when Frankey Tarrant harshly received a second yellow following a melee after Sam Halfpenny had been fouled.

Sean Bishop then had a toe poked effort well saved by Hammond and Crawley ran down the clock against the 10 men to finish 2-1 winners.

Crawley Green narrowly lost 1-2 to Risborough Rangers in a Monday night battle which saw Rangers edge nearer to a top 4 position.

Ranger’s Martin Griggs had an early effort saved by Scott Bates and Crawley responded with a shot from Jamie Sawyer which went wide.

A long throw from Craig Savage then fell to Sam Peverall and his shot was well saved by Steve Clark in the Rangers goal.

As Crawley pressed forward Jack Downes and Peverall both had shots blocked before Henry Mungwira went a great run but he was also denied by Clark.

After 33 minutes the game changed when the visitors scored twice in 4 minutes.

As Crawley appealed for offside Callum Mansell whipped in great cross from the left and James Shrimpton headed home to make it 1-0.

Four minutes later Crawley conceded a penalty when Scott Bates spilled the ball and the rebound hit Scott Harvey on the hand.

It was a harsh penalty but Martin Griggs made no mistake from the spot as he sent Bates the wrong way and it finished 2-0 at the break.

In the second half Crawley worked hard to get back in the game but Rangers were always dangerous on the break through Griggs and Shrimpton.

Crawley’s Darnell Muir-Martindale had a shot saved by Clark after being set up by Mungwira.

Minutes later Sam Peverall and Aaron Wilson combined to create a chance for Mungwira but he shot tamely at Clark.

With time running out and Rangers seemingly coasting to a win Crawley brought on Dean Bull to play up front and he changed the game.

After 83 minutes Bull laid the ball out to Sam Peverall and his cross from the right was headed home by Aaron Wilson to make it 2-1.

Crawley poured forward looking for an equaliser and minutes later another Peverall cross was mis-judged by Clark but the ball cannoned off the post to safety.

Despite their best efforts Crawley were unable to salvage a point and the game finished 1-2 to the visitors.

On Saturday Crawley lost 3-1 at Langford.

Langford had the better of the opening and could have been four up in the first 15 minutes.

John Aruna Kamara shot wide after 8 minutes and 2 minutes later Connor Waite went through but lobbed the ball into Dean Bull when he should have scored.

After 15 minutes Chris Butler broke clear of the Crawley defence but shot straight at Bull.

Minutes later Connor Waite missed another chance to put the hosts in front.

Crawley replied with an effort from Henry Mungwira before Langford rattled in 3 goals in 6 minutes.

Langford opened the scoring after 30 minutes when Nick Threadgold out-muscled Stuart Strange to fire the past Bull to make it 1-0.

Minutes later Waite had another shot blocked before John Aruna Kamara rifled in an effort from the edge of the box which went in off the post.

After 36 minutes Barikole Koroma made it 3-0 and it virtually game over.

Crawley battled back and Sam Halfpenny went close just before the break but his effort went just wide.

In the second half Langford were happy to sit back and looked to take Crawley on the break.

Crawley went close with efforts from Charlie Clayton and Jack Downes and Langford replied with an effort from Threadgold which went wide.

Threadgold had another effort bounce to safety off the post before Crawley reduced the arrears through Charlie Clayton after 75 minutes,

Langford’s Connor Waite was then denied with a fantastic save from Dean Bull who tipped his shot onto the bar.

Crawley’s final efforts from Clayton and Peverall were not good enough and Langford ran out worthy 3-1 winners.