Crawley Green through to league cup quarter finals

Crawley Green.
Crawley Green.

Crawley Green progressed into the quarter finals of the SML Division One League Cup with an entertaining 5-2 win against local rivals Harpenden Town.

After a scrappy opening it was Crawley who created the best chance after 20 minutes. Stuart Strange and Liam Toomey combined to set up Sam Pemberton but his shot went just wide of the left hand post.

Two minutes later Crawley took the lead. Former Harpenden player Jack Downes cut in from the left and his fierce shot was turned in by Aaron Wilson.

Town replied with a long range shot from Anthony Burns which was well saved by Dean Bull in the Crawley goal.

Back came Crawley with two efforts from Liam Toomey before Daniel Mead made a last ditch tackle to deny a Town counter.

After 32 minutes Crawley doubled their lead when Jack Downes collected a pass from Toomey and drove the ball into the bottom right hand corner to make it 2-0.

Just before the break former old boy Downes scored again.

Liam Toomey put Sam Halfpenny clear down the right and his cross was turned in by Downes to make it 3-0. After the break Town came out with all guns blazing and were back in the game after 55 minutes.

Town were awarded a soft free kick on the edge of the box and substitute Nick Elliott drove home to make it 3-1.

Crawley responded well to the expected onslaught and restored their 3 goal advantage 3 minutes later.

Liam Toomey put through Luke Lincoln who neatly lobbed Sam Taylor in the Town goal to make it 4-1. The goal temporarily knocked the stuffing out of the visitors, but they slowly started to get back in the game.

After Jack Downes had an effort go wide, Town responded with a shot from Stef Geraldes which was turned round by Bull.

From the corner Crawley’s Alex Bennett’s first touch after coming on a substitute was to knock the ball past Bull for an own goal.

At 4-2 with 20 minutes to go it was game on as Town poured forward looking for a third.

Crawley weathered the storm helped by some wayward shooting from Town and some resolute defending.

In the final minute Crawley made it 5-2. Liam Toomey went through two tackles to set up Luke Lincoln who curled the ball in off the right hand post.

There was still time for Bull to make two great saves from Tom Cullin before Tony Golder had an effort rebound off the post.

In the quarter final Crawley travel to Buckingham Athletic.