Dunstable crash out of FA Trophy

Jemale McKenzie-Lowe in action for Dunstable against Haringey Borough
Jemale McKenzie-Lowe in action for Dunstable against Haringey Borough

FA Trophy first round qualifying: Dunstable Town 1 Haringey Borough 3

Dunstable Town were knocked out of the FA Trophy by Ryman Division One North side Haringey Borough on Saturday.

The visitors, struggling at the bottom of their division this season, proved more than a match for the Blues, who produced a poor second half performance.

Dunstable were without Steven Gregory and David Keenleyside as Adam Watkins came into the side, with Haringey going closest first through Anthony McDonald.

Gary Wharton had the Blues first real effort, firing at visiting keeper Ashley Harris, but Borough took the lead on 19 minutes when former QPR veteran Leroy Griffiths broke clear to find the bottom corner.

Dunstable looked for a leveller as Victor Osbobu had a couple of half chances, while Connor Calcutt shot over the bar too.

Osobu then hit the stanchion, before Calcutt’s close range shot was parried by Harris, who also saved Wharton’s instinctive follow-up.

Haringey weren’t sitting on their lead though as Griffiths forced a good block from Paul Bastock, with the home keeper then denying McDonald.

In the second period, McDonald had another effort stopped by Bastock, before Ishmael Kamara added a second in spectacular style, connecting with an overhead kick that beat Bastock on 53 minutes.

Dunstable swapped Calcutt and Osobu for Chris Vardy and Mark Reilly, while Jemale McKenzie-Lowe replaced Lee Roache as the hosts almost pulled one back when James Kaloczi headed over the bar.

It was 3-0 on 67 minutes though courtesy of a marvellous long range strike from sub Nana Asamoah.

Dunstable thought they had pulled one back when Adam Pepera finished well, but it was ruled out by the assistant referee for an infringement.

Vardy and Zack Reynolds were both denied by splendid saves by Harris, but the latter did pull one back in injury time when he netted a consolation.

Dunstable Town now travel to St Neots Town in the Southern Premier Division on Tuesday evening.

Dunstable: Paul Bastock, Zack Reynolds, Luke Pennell, Danny Talbot, James Kaloczi, Adam Pepera, Adam Watkins, Gary Wharton, Connor Calcutt (Mark Reilly), Lee Roache (Jemale McKenzie-Lowe), Victor Osobu (Chris Vardy).

Haringey: Ashley Harris, Rakim Richards, Dean Fenton, Dewayne Clark, Aaron Scott, Daniel Walker, Daniel Aristodou, Ashley Fashanu (Nana Asamoah), Leroy Griffiths, Ishmael Kamara (Jerome Martelli), Anthony McDonald (Anton Blackwood).

Subs not used: Mikhail Kharsiladze, Macauley White.

Referee: Marc Wilson.

Attendance: 79.