Green capitulate in second half at Berkhamsted

SSML Premier Division: Berkhamsted 7 Crawley Green 2

Wednesday, 8th March 2017, 11:05 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:45 am
First for sports news

Crawley Green’s five game unbeaten run came to an abrupt at Berkhamsted when they conceded six second half goals to lose 7-2, after leading 2-1 at the break.

The visitors had fallen behind after just three minutes when the diminutive Max Farrelly was left completely unmarked to head Alex Campana’s corner into the net.

Reece Green did well to block an effort from Ashton Campbell and Farrelly then followed up with an effort which went wide.

However, Green got into the game as Joe Bradbury’s effort was punched clear by home keeper Carl Tasker, while Charlie Clayton’s attempt was wide after good work by Sodiq Thompson.

Ashton Grant’s free kick was saved by Tasker, before Crawley levelled on 35 minutes as Henry Mungwira advanced on the left and crossed for Clayton to fire home from close range.

The goal lifted Crawley and three minutes later they took the lead, Thompson turning the full back inside out before firing the ball past Tasker.

Campbell then shot wide for the hosts, with Green close to a third, Mark Smith’s header not far away from a Bradbury corner.

However, at the start of the second half Town came out with all guns blazing and after were level after just three minutes, an unmarked Farrelly again heading home from a Campana corner.

Campana then started to torment Crawley as his cross was headed straight at Bull by Campbell when it seemed easier to score.

Bull then tipped over an effort from Matt Bateman, but it was no surprise when the hosts’ took the lead after 63 minutes, sub Mark Chamberlain firing home.

Mungwira’s shot was blocked as Berkhamsted then turned the screw, making it 4-2 on 73 minutes when an unmarked Matt Bateman turned in a cross from Campbell.

Worse was to come as 60 seconds later it was 5-2, Campbell firing past Bull, while Josh Chamberlain (83) and Ed Canham (90) completed the rout.

Green now have to wait 11 days before their next game at Biggleswade United.