LuaLua welcomed the chance to make an early impact at Adams Park

Early substitutions suited winger

Wednesday, 14th April 2021, 7:00 am
Kazenga LuaLua celebrates making it 2-1 to Luton on Saturday

Town attacker Kazenga LuaLua thought Hatters boss Nathan Jones was right to make his changes as quickly as he did during the 3-1 win at Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday.

With Luton trailing 1-0 after an insipid first half, Jones made two substitutions at the break, bringing on Harry Cornick and Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall for Ryan Tunnicliffe and Luke Berry.

They were then followed 10 minutes later by LuaLua, as the visitors went to an incredibly attacking 4-2-4 formation, while Wycombe were reduced to 10 men just before the hour when Josh Knight was dismissed for a lunging challenge on Jordan Clark.

Town were still behind when George Moncur was introduced in the 77th minute, before three goals in the space of eight minutes saw them run out 3-1 winners, Moncur netting the first from a free kick, LuaLua picking out the top corner soon afterwards and Elijah Adebayo burying a header late on.

LuaLua said: “It’s nice to come on early as sometimes when you come on a bit later, with 10 minutes left, you kind of rush things.

“It’s nice to come on early so you can get the pace of the game, Harry Cornick did and I did as well, so it was nice.

“It was nice at least to get a game too. When you come on as a sub you want to make an impact for the team which I think I did.

“George did, Harry Cornick did, it was nice, and even better to get three points.”

Team-mate Moncur felt the changes worked too, saying: “I think Kiernan, he’s a superb player, just like everyone else we’ve got.

“It opened up in the second half even before the red card, we got on the ball a few more times, space started to appear and the red card’s a red card.

“I don’t think the boy can say it’s not, as he went over the top, especially from where I was sitting.

“Once you get down to 10 men it’s very difficult to carry on defending a lead when the other team has 11 which is us and I think we took full advantage of that.

“We had a lot of chances even before the free kick, we started creating more.

"Like I say the gaps were much bigger and you could find those pockets into players, turn, get it wide, get crosses in, and then just needed that little bit of killer instinct to nick a goal.

“Then when you get one, get two and three.”

Moncur wasn't surprised that Wycombe were such dogged opponents on the day, taking the lead through Anis Mehmet's first half penalty and threatening to end the Hatters proud record of never having lost at Adams Park, despite their position of peril at the bottom of the table.

He added: "Every time I've been here it's a very tough game as the position they’re in at the minute is tough for them.

"So they’re going to fight for every ball, going to try and win second balls, push for the front and the striker (Uche Ikpeazu) was a big problem up there.

"But like I say, you’ve just got to get over that spell, and once you weather that storm you can show your quality and the gaps start to appear and think that’s what we did really well second half."