Rovers hold on to defeat Uxbridge

Barton Rovers in action against Leighton on Saturday
Barton Rovers in action against Leighton on Saturday

Barton Rovers maintained their Southern League Division One Central play-off push with a battling 2-1 win over Uxbridge on Tuesday night.

The visitors could have taken the lead on 15 minutes, only for Paul Andrews to produce a goal-line clearance.

Within 30 seconds Barton were award a free kick just outside the Uxbridge area but Kev Kilroy’s thunderous effort was well saved by keeper Paul McCarthy.

Rovers’ Connor Vincent picked up from where he left off on Saturday and was causing the Uxbridge defence problems all night.

It was the hosts who had the better chances and on 40 minutes a well delivered corner saw Mahmut Calgar’s header cleared off the line.

Both teams had worked hard throughout the first period with Man of the match Jack Keating controlling the midfield for Barton.

He worked tirelessly all game and stopped most of the Uxbridge attacks through the centre of the pitch.

The second period was only four minutes old when Barton took the lead.

Caglar and Vincent linked well to set up Keating who timed his run into the box perfectly and left McCarthy with no chance.

Keating almost scored a second on 60 minutes again from a Barton corner, Andrews out jumped the defence and headed on to Keating to bring out the best in McCarthy.

Barton’s second goal was not far away and on 66 minutes, Vincent volleyed home to make it 2-0.

The hosts were then awarded a penalty when substitute Tom Peverall clipped a ball over the defence for Rhys Hoenes to run on to.

As he rounded the keeper, he was taken down and the referee pointed straight to the spot.

Kilroy stepped up to the plate but saw his shot sail over the cross bar.

Barton were looking like scoring on every attack, but Uxbridge had not given up hope either.

On 85 minutes a Chris Moore overhead volley was deflected passed a helpless Kyle Forster to set up a frantic finish to the game.

However, Barton’s grit and ambition was clear to see as they battled to the final whistle to earn a well-deserved three points.

The result means Rovers are just four points away from the top five, with two games in hand.

They travel to Chalfont on Saturday before entertaining Marlow FC next Tuesday.