Town slip to defeat at Boreham Wood

Pre-season friendly: Boreham Wood 1 Luton Town 0

Tuesday, 19th July 2016, 10:00 pm
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 8:26 pm

Luton Town fell to defeat at National League side Boreham Wood in their latest pre-season friendly on Tuesday evening.

The hosts scored the only goal of the game after 20 minutes through Kudus Oyenuga and despite huffing and puffing for the remainder, Hatters, who had put nine past Bedford Town on Saturday and without Jack Marriott missing out with illness, never really theatened a leveller.

In searing heat early on, Danny Hylton’s lob was easy for keeper Grant Smith, before Cameron McGeehan broke into the box and saw his shot blocked, while Hylton found space once more as his cross was just cleared away.

However, the hosts took the lead with a goal of real simplicity as a ball over the top wasn’t dealt with by Johnny Mullins and with Christian Walton rashly advancing out of his goal, Oyenuga flicked the ball over the stranded keeper and into the empty net.

Hatters threatened sporadically for the rest of the half, most of their brightest moments coming through Hylton’s impressive hold-up play, with the striker looking like he could become a real crowd favourite at Kenilworth Road this term.

The best effort was all McGeehan’s own work though as he went on a lung-busting run forward, exchanged a one-two with Jordan Cook and then tested Smith low down.

A lovely interchange saw Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu hammer wide, but Wood weren’t without their own efforts, as Andrade’s lofted attempt needed tipping over by Walton, with the keeper then collecting a header at the far post too.

Sheehan’s fierce free kick saved by Smith, but clearly not overly impressed by his side’s first half display, Jones sent the same 11 out for the second period, with only youngster Akin Famewo on for full back Dan Potts who took a knock to the head moments before the break.

Hatters showed signs of improvement, with McGeehan’s free kick deflected away, while he then fashioned a shooting opportunity, Smith diverting behind.

Just after the hour, Town rang the substitutions once more, with only Josh McQuoid remaining on the field, as Luton had six of last season’s U18s side playing, including the whole of the back five.

Town look re-energised with all the youngsters utilised, as Cameron McJannet’s deep cross was nodded over by McQuoid, while Zane Banton’s trickery found him a yard of space in the box on 70 minutes, with Smith saving excellently.

Wood remained a threat though, Angelo Balanta working an angle but dragging across Liam Gooch’s goal.

Hatters couldn’t ever turn their possession in and around the box into clear-cut chances during the latter stages and after Musonda was booked for his running battle with Shaun Jeffers, it was Gooch who keot the score at 1-0 with a brilliant reflex stop from Balanta.

Wood: Grant Smith, Ben Nunn, Joe Devara, Mark Ricketts, David Stephens, Matt Paine, Adriano Moke, Conor Clifford, Kudus Oyenuga, Daniel Uchechi, Bruno Andrade.

Subs: Sam Beasant, Ricky Shakes, Shaun Jeffers, Kenny Davis, Kadell Daniels, Angelo Balanta, Josh Colicott-Stevens, Ben Goodliffe.

Hatters: Christian Walton (Liam Gooch 63), Stephen O’Donnell (James Justin 63), Dan Potts (Akin Famewo 46), Johnny Mullins (Cameron McJannet 63), Alan Sheehan (Frankie Musonda 63), Glen Rea (Jonathan Smith 57), Cameron McGeehan (Tyreeq Bakinson 63), Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu (Olly Lee 57), Jordan Cook (Zane Banton 63), Danny Hylton (Isaac Vassell 57), Josh McQuoid (Alex Atkinson 74).